Logo close icon

Apply for a Student route visa

Check if you need a Student visa

Most international students need a Student route visa to study in the UK. It allows you to study on a course that is longer than six months and it's the most common Student visa.

Make sure that you read the information below about how to apply for a Student route visa carefully. Your visa will be refused if your application is not completed correctly.

Check if you need a UK visa

Prepare for your visa application

All students who apply for a Student route visa under the sponsorship of Middlesex University must agree to our conditions of Student route sponsorship.

Find out more about how to apply for your visa by watching our video.

Watch our information video

Important things to have before you apply for your UK visa

  • All students who apply for a Student route visa under the sponsorship of Middlesex University must agree to our conditions of Student route sponsorship
  • You must have an unconditional offer to study at an institution that is licensed by the Home Office as a Student route visa sponsor. Middlesex University is a licensed Student route (General) visa sponsor
  • You must be at least 16 years old to apply for a Student route visa to study at Middlesex University. We regret that we are unable to offer Student route visa sponsorship to students who are under 16 years of age
  • You must meet the financial and documentation requirements. Please see below for these in more detail

Your CAS reference number

We will send you a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) when we offer you a place to study and have confirmed that we will be able to sponsor you.

Your CAS will have a reference number which you must state on your visa application form. Your caseworker will check it when they process your visa.

Your Student route visa only allows you to study at the institution which issued your CAS. If you move to another institution, you must apply for a new visa, even if your current one is still valid.

Information in your CAS

The CAS includes:

  • Personal information such as your name, date of birth, passport number, and nationality
  • Information about your course, including your course title, start and end dates, the details of your offer, and tuition fees
  • Details of your Student route visa sponsor: sponsor licence number, institution name, and campus address

You will receive a copy of this information when your CAS is issued. Please check it carefully and contact us if there are any mistakes.

Your visa sponsor

Your university or college will act as your Student route visa sponsor. This will be Middlesex University if you are accepted onto courses at our campus in London. Your visa is issued under your institution's 'sponsor licence'. This means that the institution is responsible for you while you are in the UK, and must guarantee your student status with UK Visas and Immigration.

All UK Visas are issued by a government agency called UK Visas and Immigration (formerly the UKBA). If you are overseas, your visa application might be managed by an agency such as VFS Global. The agency will manage the application process, but the final decision on your visa will still be made by UK Visas and Immigration.

In this section

Back to top