Finance for international students
Information about the cost of your degree and what financial support is available to study here
The cost of your course
When you come to Middlesex, you'll need to budget for:
- Tuition fees that vary according to the course you are studying and are subject to inflation. Look at your chosen course page for current information
- Additional costs for field and residential trips on some courses
- Accommodation costs in halls of residence or privately rented accommodation
- Living costs, such as food, travel, and entertainment
- English language tuition fees if you want to study English in the UK before you begin your course.
Before you start, our Admissions team can help you with financial advice and information including the cost of living in London. As a student, our Student Welfare team are here to help you manage your finances.
EU student finance
From September 2021, EU students will be charged the same tuition fee as international students as the UK has now exited the EU.
In order to continue our support for European students, we are offering a bursary to offer holders who start their studies in September 2021 or January 2022.
International student finance
If you are an international student, you'll need to support yourself financially when you study with us as there are no UK Government-backed loans and grants available for you.
Your deposit and visa application
To secure your place at Middlesex University as an international student, you will need to pay a deposit. This will be deducted from your tuition fee due when you enrol. If you choose to defer entry to the following academic year, the deposit will be held for one academic year.
When we receive your deposit, we will register you with the UK Visa’s and Immigration Deposit (UKV) and you will receive a Confirmation of Acceptance for Students (CAS) reference number. You should use this when you apply for the Student route (formerly tier 4) visa or CAS visa. You must pay the minimum deposit before the Student route visa or CAS visa can be issued.
You can also pay your tuition fees in full before your visa appointment and in which case the total fee due will be stated on the CAS confirmation letter or your offer letter.
Refund for your deposit
You should only pay a deposit if you are certain you are able to take up your place at Middlesex University. Your deposit is only refundable in the following circumstances:
You have been refused a student visa. A clear copy of the complete visa refusal letter issued by the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) must be submitted with any request, as evidence
- The deposit was paid while you held a conditional offer and you failed to meet the conditions of the offer and were not admitted to the University for the relevant course and start date specified in the offer letter
We can only refund money to the account from which payment was made originally. It cannot be transferred to another individual. If a third party has paid the deposit on your behalf, you will not receive the refund. Refunds will be made at the rate of exchange in force on the date the refund is processed. Any charges levied by the receiving bank will be borne by the applicant.
If you have begun your studies, any refunds will then fall in line with normal University withdrawal policies.
How to pay your fees and deposit
Your tuition fees must be paid when you enrol. So you must make sure that you have the appropriate banking facilities in place for when you arrive in the UK.
You can pay using:
- Bank to bank transfers
- Debit or credit cards, except American Express and Diners Club
We do not accept cash as a means of payment.
Your tuition fee deposit will only be applicable if you have been provided with an unconditional offer from Middlesex University.
Ways to pay
There are several lways to pay. So carefully read the information below to find the service that is right for you.
Find a payment method for you
Pay via the Applicant Portal
As an international student, you can pay by credit or debit card through the Online Applicant Portal. If you pay in this way, then:
- You'll get an instant receipt by e-mail
- Your student account is updated within 24 hours
- Our Admissions team is advised of your tuition fee deposit payment within 24 hours, which reduces the time taken to issue your CAS.
Your login details will be in your offer letter and you will have access to this payment facility upon receiving an unconditional offer from us unless you are applying through UCAS. In this case, you will be provided with access at a later date and should use the bank transfer facility.
You may be advised by your bank that your tuition fee payment exceeds your current credit facility or that your card is not authorised for International transfers. We would advise in such instances that you ensure that your card is approved for International payments and request an increase in your credit limit with your bank. To ensure that you do not breach your credit limit you can split your payment into smaller amounts to ensure that you remain within your credit limit.
Pay via bank transfer
Middlesex University has partnered with Western Union Business Solutions to provide you with a quick and easy way to pay your fees. GlobalPay for Students allows you to pay student fees in the currency of your choice and then provides you with a simple and secure way to initiate payment. Using GlobalPay reduces lost payments and gives you get peace of mind that your full payment is received by us.
This service allows you to see the exact cost of your payment in your local currency and the quote given will be honoured for 72 hours. You can then contact your bank to arrange payment or carry out the transfer online.
This is easier and cheaper than ordering a bankers draft from your bank and the payment will reach your University account more quickly.
You can also track your payment.
Benefits of using GlobalPay
- Pay tuition fees by bank transfer or online payment options including AliPay, Ten Pay, UnionPay, Trustly, Sofort
- Bank transfer options for China and India
- No transaction charges from Middlesex University or Western Union Business Solutions
- Good exchange rate compared to most banks
- Helps reduce lost payments.
Please note that this is not an online payment facility and only provides you with a quote. It is important that you ensure that the currency stated in your quote is the same as the currency used by your bank – otherwise, you run the risk of your payment being rejected or delayed. Your bank will carry out the transfer upon receipt of the quote as per the instructions below:
Using this service
- Log in to the International student bank transfer payment system by using your student number and pin which are detailed in your offer letter from Middlesex University. Your student number is the “M” number and your pin is your date of birth in the format “DDMMYY”.
- Enter the amount(s) you wish to pay and then select “continue”. You will then be taken to the Western Union website. The payment currency will default to your home country currency but you can select another currency if you wish. The exchange rate will be calculated and displayed. When you are happy with the currency and value of the payment select “continue”.
- Enter the details of the person who will make the payment (this can be you or a family member or sponsor). Confirmation will be sent to your Middlesex University email address but you can change this to another email address if you wish. When you have entered your details select “continue”.
- Read the conditions carefully and tick the box to confirm you have understood. Then submit your payment request. Print a copy of the payment instructions PDF and submit it to your bank immediately or use a telephone or online banking to carry out the transaction.
The quote is only valid for 72 hours. If you have not made payment within this time you will need to start the process again. If you do submit a payment after 72 hours, Western Union will process your payment at the exchange rate on that day. If there is a shortfall in the amount received by the University you will be required to pay the difference.
Please save a copy of the quote for your records. Upon receipt of your deposit, Western Union will transfer your payment to Middlesex University.
Who to contact
Telephone: 01733 871 871
There is customer support service to help you at every step. Service is between 9.00 am to 5.00 pm (UK time) and Monday to Friday only.
Middlesex University (Student Fees and Finance)
You can contact the Finance team via our online enquiry form or by telephone at +44(0) 208 411 6400.
Our UniHelp service is also providing a chat service for general enquiries. You can also find guidance videos for using this service on UniHub.
Pay via an Alternative Payment Method
Western Union offers Alternative Payment Methods as a secure way for you to pay your tuition fees. eWallet payment methods provide a secure place where you can store funds to be used online and Western Union offers the following eWallet and online payment options solutions:
Alipay/Tenpay – Paypal of China
Alipay is an eWallet used for over half of all Chinese internet transactions that represents 450 million active unique users making more than 80 million payments a day.
Tenpay is the second most popular online payment in China. It works like many eWallet services where you add payment methods (card or bank accounts) to your Alipay account so payments can be easily processed.
This is a direct payment system and works like an automated advanced payment (by bank transfer) within seconds. Sofort banking is the market leader in direct payment in Germany and Austria and is currently available on GlobalPay for students from the following countries:
This is an Australian online debit payment method. It is a payment system that is used by merchants and consumers in Australia and New Zealand and covers 22 banks.
This payment method enables immediate online transfer from bank to bank accounts. It is available in the Netherlands, has 3 million users and partners with 10 banks.
This payment method allows you to pay via your own bank account. Trustly covers over 130 banks in 21 countries, and have 67 million users.
India Net Banking
This option enables online banking via the Indian banking network and covers all banks in India.
Scholarships, bursaries, and awards
You can also receive financial support to help with the cost of your studies that is based on your personal circumstances. Scholarships and bursaries recognise your academic excellence and other achievements and, unlike a loan, you don't have to pay them back.
Scholarships, bursaries, and awards can reduce your tuition fees or help pay your living expenses. You are only eligible to receive one scholarship award from Middlesex University.
Find out about this financial support for international students below.
Available scholarships and awards
Dominican Republic MESCyT scholarship
Middlesex has an agreement with the Ministry of Higher Education, Science and Technology (MESCyT) to provide scholarships to students from the Dominican Republic at Postgraduate level.
Find out more
International bursaries and merit awards
Amount: £1,000 - £2,000 fee bursary
Eligibility: Any non-EU international undergraduate student in any subject
As an International student, you are eligible for £1,000 - £2,000 towards your course fees for the first year of study. We assess eligibility and funding amounts on a case by case basis. This depends on your course, application and country.
How to apply: You should apply for your chosen course through the normal application process. After you receive an offer, fill out the scholarship application form. If you're successful, you'll be notified by email and we'll deduct the award amount from the second instalment of your tuition fees.
Other scholarship opportunities
You could also be eligible for scholarships, bursaries, and awards available to all students - from the UK and outside the UK.
Ask about scholarships
For more information about what's available to students from your country visit your country information page or contact your nearest regional office.