Logo close icon

After your application

When you arrive in the UK

Once your Visa and course applications have been successful - you are on your way to the UK!

Read our guidance and advice on getting through Border Control to make sure you start your time in the UK the right way.

  • After your application

    • If your visa is refused

      If your visa application is unsuccessful then please email our team immediately. We will advise you of your options and help you decide what to do.

    • How to apply for another course

      If you have already studied in the UK then you may want to apply to take another course at the same level. However, you must show that there is a good reason for this. This is called 'academic progress' and there are the following requirements:

      • If you want to continue onto a higher level course for example from undergraduate to postgraduate, you will automatically meet the requirements.
      • If you want to start a course at the same level as your previous course for example a second master's course then you should explain why you want to do the new course in your personal statement when you apply. This will be assessed as part of your application.

      Academic progress only applies to courses that have been taken in the UK. If your previous study was overseas, this does not apply to you.

    • How to extend your Student route visa in the UK

      If you have just graduated from a college or undergraduate course, you may want to continue to study and progress onto a master's or PhD course.

      You may be able to extend your Student route visa to do another course, if you have not had a student visa for more than five years and meet additional criteria. For more information, please visit the UKCISA website.

      You must extend your visa before you start your new programme. As long as there is not a gap of more than 28 days between your visa end date and your course start date, you can extend your visa from within the UK, so you don't have to return home.

      When you extend your visa, you must meet the requirements in place at the time you apply. These might have changed from when you applied for your original visa.

    • Limits on extending your visa

      You can have a Student route visa for a maximum of five years. You cannot extend your visa beyond this, unless:

      • You study a four-year undergraduate degree course. This is usually a course that includes a placement year. In these cases, you can stay in the UK for up to six years.
      • You study a PhD course

      Some courses are exempt from the five-year limit. If you have previously taken a course that falls into any of these categories, you should let us know when you apply:

      • Architecture
      • Medicine
      • Veterinary Medicine/Science
      • Dentistry
      • Law (certain professional courses only)
      • Music (at a recognised 'Conservatoire')

The length of your visa

Your Student Route visa will be valid for the duration of your course,  plus a short amount of time afterwards.

The amount of time your visa is valid for after graduation depends on the length or type of your course:

  • More than 12 months -  4 months after graduation
  • 6-12 months - 2 months after graduation
  • Less than 6 months - 7 days after graduation
  • Pre-sessional courses - 1 month after graduation
  • PhD courses - up to 3 years following graduation under the Graduate route

If you are already in the UK,  working or studying or as a dependent (but not as a visitor)  you may be able to apply for a Student Route visa to study at Middlesex University.  We have free advice and support to help you with your application and visa.

After your course is finished, you can also search for a job with an employer who can offer you a Tier 2 (General) visa. The UK visas and immigration website has more information about work visas.

Working on your visa

You can work while you are in the UK with some restrictions on the number of hours and on the type of work you can do. For example, you cannot be self-employed. More information about work restrictions can be found on the UK Council for International Student Affairs website and our Unihub site.

Placements on your visa

A placement is an excellent choice for many students. At Middlesex, many of our undergraduate courses have the option of a placement year to help increase your employability. We have excellent industry links to help you find a placement that's right for you. More information on work placements can be found on our Unihub site.

Working after your studies

After your course is finished, you can work during the additional period specified above. You can also search for a job with an employer who can offer you a Tier 2 (General) visa. The UK Visas and Immigration website has more information about work visas.

If you are graduating in the summer of 2021 and were a student in the UK on a Student Route (or Tier 4) visa by the 5 April 2021, or if you started a programme at degree level or above after this date and which you then successfully complete, you will be eligible for a Graduate Route Visa.

This allows you to stay in the UK to work or look for work for up to two years.

Get support from our team

Our advisors are here to offer support to all applicants. We particularly recommend you contact us if you are not being supported by a professional advisor such as an agent or International Office, if you are resuming your education after a gap or are changing direction, if you have had a previous visa refusal or if you have been asked to attend a second visa interview as part of your visa application.

In this section

Back to top