Logo close icon

Your documents

Documents for your application

To apply for a Student route visa you will need the following documents.

  • Key documents

    • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

      Your University will send this to you by email when you have met all of the academic and financial conditions of your offer.

      You must state your CAS reference number on your Student route visa application.

      Please be aware that a CAS is specific to your unconditional offer. If you defer your studies to the next intake, or choose a different institution, you will need a new CAS.

    • Bank statements

      Unless you have already been living in the UK for 12 months or longer and are making a new application in the UK, you must provide a bank statement(s), loan letter or sponsorship letter to show that you have sufficient funds to pay for your studies.

      This includes outstanding tuition fees for your course, as well as living costs. You need to show that you have £1,334 per month for 9 months (£12,006) unless your course is shorter than 9 months*.

      *These figures are accurate as of February 2021. These figures are subject to change and you must make sure than you meet the requirements in place at the time you submit your visa application.

      Checklist for bank statements

      • They must clearly show the money is in your account for 28 consecutive days. The bank statement cannot be more than one month old when you apply for your visa
      • Bank statements must be in your name or the names of either of your parents(s). You cannot use a company account or a bank account in any one else's name
      • Loan letters must have been issued as part of an official state or national government educational loan scheme. Sponsorship letters must have been issued by a government or government agency, a university or a multinational company
      • All financial documents must be in English or accompanied by a translation stamped and signed by a professional translator
      • If you are applying for your visa from within the UK, you may be able to show reduced living costs. Please see the UKCISA website for more information

      More information on the financial requirements for your visa can be found in the UK Visas and Immigration Student route visa policy guidance.

    • Original copies of your qualifications

      Your CAS will list the qualifications which you must submit with your visa application. You must supply the original copies. Photocopies will not be accepted.

    • Evidence of your English language level

      The Home Office requires all students to have a minimum standard of English before they can study in the UK. The standard of English required depends on the level of the course you have applied for.

      Your CAS will state how your English has been assessed. This might be by reference to a qualification you have achieved or a IELTS certificate. You must ensure that you supply copies of any qualifications referenced on the CAS letter when you apply for your visa.

      If you are from a country which is recognised as majority English speaking, or you have completed a degree course which was taught and assessed in English in one of these countries and this is recorded on your CAS, you will not need to provide evidence of any additional English Language qualifications.

      Majority English-speaking countries are defined as: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, New Zealand, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, and the USA.

    • Tuberculosis (TB) screening certificate (if applicable)

      If you are coming to the UK for more than six months and apply for your visa from a country which has a high risk of tuberculosis, you must be tested and obtain a certificate to confirm that you do not have this illness.

      You must obtain this certificate from a recognised screening clinic before you make your visa application. There is a small charge, which is payable locally.

      Get more information about tuberculosis tests and a list of recognised screening clinics from the UK Visas and Immigration website.

    • Police Registration Certificate (if applicable)

      You may be required to register with the police when you arrive in the UK. This depends on your nationality and it will be clearly marked on your visa.

      When you register with the police, you are given a Police Registration Certificate. If you submit a visa application from within the UK, you must supply this certificate with your documents. You do not have to supply a Police Registration Certificate if you apply for your visa from outside the UK.

      Find out more about registering with the police for your visa.

    • A valid passport

      You will need a valid passport in order to apply for a Student route visa.

You don't need to submit all of the documentation above with your Student route visa application if your nationality (as stated on your passport) is one of the following:

Argentina, Australia, Bahrain, Barbados, Botswana, Brunei, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Dominican Republic, Indonesia, Japan, Kuwait, Malaysia, The Maldives, Mexico, New Zealand, Qatar, Serbia, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, United Arab Emirates or the USA.

However, you must be able to show these documents if requested.

An applicant will be subject to different documentary requirements under Student route visa of the Points Based System where they are the rightful holder of a passport, which has been issued by one of the relevant competent authorities listed below, and where the applicant is applying either for entry clearance in the country or territory where they are living or for leave to remain in the UK.

British national (overseas), Hong Kong, Macau SAR or Taiwan*.

*Nationals of Taiwan who hold a passport issued by Taiwan that includes the number of the identification card issued by the competent authority in Taiwan.

In this section

Back to top