As part of our ongoing investment in research, we offer a number of funded studentships throughout the year.
We update these regularly, so if there isn't one at the moment, please check back shortly. You may also want to explore the new doctoral loan scheme.
Please note you need to apply for your course in parallel with your studentship application. You should also ensure you mention the studentship you are interested in when you submit your application.
Middlesex University in collaboration with the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) are offering an exciting PhD studentship opportunity around profiling performances within elite football. The candidate will explore the use of performance profiling in detecting changes in performance under the direction of academic experts from Middlesex University.
Sponsor: UEFA & Middlesex University
Eligibility: UK/EU Students - Overseas students will be considered but the bursary is up to a maximum of the UK tuition fees.
Location: Remote/Middlesex University
Mode of Study: Full-time
Studentship Title: Profiling performances within elite football
Stipend & Fee: £25,000 tax-free bursary & tuition fee sponsorship (up to £6,100) per annum
Supervisory Team: Professor Nic James & Dr Nimai Parmar
Start date: October 2022
End date: October 2026
Application deadline: 14th September 2022, 23:59 GMT
Interviews: W/C 26th September 2022
· Inquisitive and willing to investigate objective sport performance data, holding the ability to use statistical methods in order to question subjective opinions and generate insights that aid in the analysis of performance. Good communicator who can translate difficult statistical concepts into simple concrete football examples.
· Undergraduate profile of minimum 2:1 in a Sports Science or Performance Analysis related discipline. Students with degrees from non-sports science related backgrounds may be considered i.e. Computer/Data Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Economics or other STEM degree.
· An appropriate Masters degree relevant to the studentship opportunity (i.e. Data/Computer Science, Sports Science, Sports Performance Analysis, Engineering, Mathematics or other STEM) is desirable. Where the applicant has no MSc degree they may be considered if they have a relevant undergraduate degree and have a track record of good quality public work or relevant industry experience.
· Students can be based remote or at Hendon campus. Students must attend and complete PhD supervisory sessions and training as appropriate (may involve travel to Hendon Campus, London, UK and UEFA headquarters, Nyon, Switzerland).
· Experience using Angles or other related performance analysis software (Sportscode, Dartfish etc. is advantageous however training will be provided to those candidates without prior experience.
How to apply for the role
· Up to date Curriculum Vitae
· Cover letter
· A short PhD proposal (max 2 A4 pages) stating how you would profile footballer’s performances, highlighting relevant methodologies that can detect changes in performance., with an emphasis on the detection of deliberate player underperformance
Submit above by 14th September 23:59 GMT to N.Parmar@mdx.ac.uk with the subject header “UEFA & Middlesex University PhD Studentship”.
Queries relating to this PhD studentship can be directed to Dr Nimai Parmar, Senior Lecturer in Sport Performance Analysis at Middlesex University at N.Parmar@mdx.ac.uk