Logo close icon

Right to work in the UK

Under the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006 the University has a legal obligation to check that all potential employees have the right to work in the UK. By making these checks, employers can be sure they do not break the law by employing illegal workers.

Documents as specified by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) must be provided before any work is undertaken. External examiners cannot start employment and cannot be entered onto the payroll system until this information has been provided.

A list of acceptable documents can be found here: Home Office Right to Work Checklist – please send your documents through with your acceptance form.

The four options currently available for Right to Work checks are as follows:

British/Irish Citizens Non-British/Irish Citizens
Remote Checks 1. Using an Identity Service Provider (IDSP): Holders of a valid (in date) British/Irish passport or passport card showing a nationality of either British Citizen or Irish Citizen can* use the third-party, Home Office certified (IDSP), TrustID. This straightforward process allows your documents to be checked online (with no need to send anything in the post). *if you do not wish to use an IDSP a manual check can be conducted as in option 4, below 2. Home Office Online: Those with EU Settlement or other permissions to live and/or work in the UK, must** use the Home Office online RTW checking system by going to: https://www.gov.uk/prove-right-to-work to obtain a ‘share code’. **Where you cannot provide a share code, please see option 3 (below).
3. ECS: If you cannot provide a share code due to, for instance, an outstanding appeal, review or application with the Home Office, we may be able to confirm your RTW using the Home Office Employer Checking Service with your permission.
Manual Checks 4. Manual Check of Original Documentation: Manual checks can be conducted either: a) ‘in person’ (which will require you to come to the university at an agreed date and time, with your original documentation) or b) ‘remotely’ where you send your original documentation to the university by secured mail or courier.
Please note all checks (excluding 4a) will require a short online video call with you to verify the photograph used in the documents provided.

In this section

Back to top