Early Childhood Studies explores the needs and experiences of younger children, empowering you to make a difference in a wide variety of careers. Our degree is taught by expert tutors with extensive experience in early years settings and investigates how education shapes child development.
Why study BA Early Childhood Studies at Middlesex University?
Early Childhood Studies has young children at its focus. It is concerned with children growing up in a global world. Ideas and practices are drawn from many disciplines including history, psychology, philosophy, sociology, law, health, and management, all of which contribute to the field of childcare and education. Our extensive history of delivering courses in the Department of Education means you benefit from the guidance of passionate academics who bring a wealth of professional experience from related sectors to their teaching. As research leaders, our academics are widely published across areas of multilingualism, diversity, and childhood development.
Employers increasingly expect higher Early Childhood Studies graduates to gain not only a qualification, but also a well-developed battery of personal transferable skills such as communication, problem-solving, reflection and teamwork, as well as a coherent sense of personal values to which they are committed. This is achieved by the Early Childhood Studies course by ensuring that the learning process is one where you participate actively in the interpretation, evaluation and application of knowledge, engaging in individual, group, and e-learning activities. Assessment is conducted via presentations, essays, reports and a final dissertation based on your own interests and research. A wealth of preparation and support is available to help you to succeed in your assignments.
Work experience is one of the most valuable assets for completing module assessments, and in planning a successful career. The timetable is arranged so that there is space to arrange voluntary or paid, on-going work-experiences or shorter placements within, for example, early years’ settings, learning centres, special schools, museums or summer camps. You receive a Placement Pack which gives you a structure for planning to get the most from your work experience, and you are guided to build a digital portfolio which compiles and showcases your developing knowledge and skills applicable to your future employment.
- Our tutors are active researchers who bring the latest findings into their teaching, placing you at the cutting-edge of education practice in the UK
- Our degree is the perfect foundation to postgraduate teacher training such as PGCE Primary Education
- We'll help you to identify the ideal career route or postgraduate programme and support you to plan a successful future
- You can take part in work experience in an early years or other educational setting. Experiences can be evidenced in a digital portfolio
- Our placement office will support you through the placement process, including identifying a suitable host and making a winning application
- As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module.