Logo close icon

Apply for a Short term study visa

If you are studying at Middlesex on a course that is six months or less, then you can apply for a short-term study visa.

Read the information below to find out more about what’s involved.

This is a temporary, short term visa that allows you to come to the UK for a maximum of six months.

What you need to know

It is normally used for short English Language or summer school courses. A Short term study visa is not normally recommended for Pre-sessional English courses as you cannot extend the visa within the UK.

If your course is longer than six months then you must apply for a Student route (formerly tier 4) visa.

More about Student route visas

Contact our visa advisors

We have a team of advisors on hand to answer your questions or concerns.

Ask us about visa and immigration

Read before you apply

When to apply in advance

You only need to apply for a Short term study visa in advance if you are a visa national. Check if this applies to you through the UK Government website.

If you are not a visa national, you can get the Short term study visa stamp when you arrive in the UK. However, you might still want to apply in advance to make things quicker and easier at the airport.

The length of your visa

A Short term study visa is always issued for a six-month period however you should leave the UK once your course is completed. You cannot renew or extend your visa.

If your visa is granted on or after 11 January 2018 then you should leave the UK not more than 30 days after your course completion date (and sooner than this if the visa expires less than 30 days after the course ended).

Documents for your visa application

You will need to provide evidence that:

This evidence includes an offer letter from your institution, documents showing your previous qualifications, and evidence of your English ability.

Find more information about documents you must provide for your visa.

Start your application

Go to the UK Visas and Immigration website to apply for your visa in advance.

Apply for your visa.

When you arrive in the UK

Once your Visa and course applications have been successful - you are on your way to the UK!

Read our guidance on getting through Border Control to make sure you start your time in the UK the right way.

What to do when you arrive

In this section

Back to top