Salma Soliman joined Middlesex University in 2013 as a lecturer in International Management. She has work experience in the sectors of education, financial services and FMCG. Before joining academia, she worked as a management consultant on different projects in the UK and the Middle East for clients in the private and non-for-profit sectors.
Ph.D. Human Resource Development
M.Sc. Research methods in Business Management
B.A. Marketing and International Business
Arabic (mother tongue)
French (basic knowledge)
Learning & Teaching Interests
Emerging market strategies (PG)
International Business Strategy (PG)
Strategic Management (UG)
Research Outputs & Interests
Research interests include:
- Institutional theory and analyses of national business systems (and its extension to LDEs). - Public policy and human development in the Middle East and North Africa region.
Conference contributions (unpublished):
– Soliman, S. (2014), Researching Egyptian business and society after the Arab Spring, World Congress for Middle Eastern Studies, Ankara.
– Soliman, S. (2010), Institutional theory and VET development in the South Mediterranean, World Congress for Middle Eastern Studies, Barcelona.
– Soliman, S. (2009), Institutional theory and VET development in Egypt, Annual conference of the British Society for Middle Eastern Studies, Manchester.
– Soliman, S.; Global Unions, Global Business: Global Union Federations and International Business; Richard Croucher and Elizabeth Cotton; Pambazuka News; 2009, 451 (Online) (Available from: http://pambazuka.org/en/category/books/59282)
Soliman, Salma and Papanastassiou, Marina and Mergos, George and Vedanthachari, Lakshmi Narasimhan (2017) The integration of Egyptian small farmers into agro-food global value chains: The role of MNEs in Egyptian agribusiness, the case of Heinz. In: Academy of International Business Annual Meeting, 02-05 July 2017, Dubai, UAE.
Soliman, Salma (2017) Food security and vocational education and training: exploring the links in the Egyptian case. In: Food Security and Sustainability: Investment and Financing along Agro-Food Chains. Mergos, George and Papanastassiou, Marina , eds. Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 193-208. ISBN 9783319407890